Remember, carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odorless, potentially fatal gas that is produced by fuel-burning appliances like furnaces, gas stoves, and fireplaces. These appliances need regular maintenance to ensure their safe operation.  Here's a quick to-do list:

  1. Have fuel-fired appliances (furnaces, fireplaces, gas stoves, hot water heaters, boilers, etc.) inspected. Remember, any work that involves a gas-fired appliance is regulated and therefore must be done by a licensed gas fitter (current class A or B or Gas Appliance Certificate of Qualification from Technical Safety BC) with the appropriate permits. Refer to the list of licensed contractors on our website.
  2. Ensure appliance air and fresh air intakes on the exterior of the home remain free of debris and are unobstructed. These vents can become clogged by dyer lint, piles of leaves, etc. Keep them clear!
  3. Check that your CO detectors and smoke alarms are functioning properly. Also, take a look at the date listed on the back to see when the unit should be replaced. Most have a lifespan of about 10 years. Check with the manufacturer for details. 
  4. Know the warning signs of CO build up in your home including discoloured fuel-burning appliances or heating system air vents; window condensation; sick or dying plants; soot build up; and discolouration on fireplaces.

A bit of preventative maintenance done now, can ensure a safe and enjoyable season.

Wanting to learn more? Check out our posts on carbon monoxide safety and gas fireplace safety.