Is a permit needed for all bouncy castles?
When an inflatable device is being used at a private event such as a birthday party or backyard barbeque, a permit is not required. However, if these devices are being used at a public event such as a school fair or community block party, an operating permit is needed and a licensed contractor is required to operate it. (You can on our website).
How do I know if a bouncy castle is safe?
When operated in a public setting there are several things the licensed contractor should be monitoring and looking for. For a parent’s sound of mind the general public can check out the following things:
- Bouncy castles should be securely anchored to prevent movement by the wind or user activity. This anchoring could include stakes driven into the ground, sandbags, or water containers.
- There should be at least one person supervising the children. Larger bouncy castles may require more than one attendant. An attendant collecting money or tickets cannot also supervise the children.
- Attendants should be checking that all children meet the height/size criteria.
- Bouncy castles and slides should not be overcrowded. If users are constantly knocking into each other the maximum user recommendation is probably being exceeded.
- The inflatable should be positioned in a location with warning signs in place and clearly visible. Bouncy castle instructions should be reviewed before using the device.
- If a generator is being used it should be located in a way that the exhaust blows away from the device. Exhaust fumes blowing into bouncy castles could lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide.
What should I do if I suspect unsafe use?
If you are aware of a bouncy castle or slide being operated in a public area that appears to be unsafe, please or call 1 866 566 7233 to let us know. A safety officer will be assigned to the report and will follow up as quickly as possible.
If a contractor is operating inflatable devices unsafely and/or without the proper permits, we may take compliance and enforcement actions.