Skip to content

    What is the difference between a gas “product approval” and a “commissioning approval”?

    Learn the difference between these two types of appliance product approvals for regulated gas appliances.
    Read More

    Why do we keep putting ourselves at risk of electric shock?

    An electrical contractor was replacing a damaged light fixture in an underground parkade. The circuit was still energized so the contractor paused and shouted to let his supervisor know. The response? Keep going anyway.
    Read More

    Ask a safety officer: Does installing a hot tub require a permit?

    If a licensed electrician is doing the install, is a permit still required?
    Read More

    Ask a safety officer: Barbecue safety

    As the months get warmer and British Columbians fire up their barbecues, we've rounded up the most common gas barbecue questions our safety officers get asked.
    Read More

    Spring home tune up tips

    Spring is here - which is a great time to consider having your gas-fueled appliances checked and "tuned up" to protect against carbon monoxide.
    Read More

    Ask an electrical safety officer: Is installation of an electrical outlet inside a drawer permitted?

    In general, the BC Electrical Code does not allow the use of receptacles in cupboards and drawers. However, there are some exceptions. Learn more!
    Read More

    Ask an electrical safety officer: I'm installing a natural gas stove. Is an outside-vented range hood mandatory or can I use a recirculating range hood?

    Unless the installation instructions of the new range specifically require an exhaust hood vented to the outdoors, there is no other code requirement under the Gas Safety Regulation which requires a hood for a residential range.
    Read More

    Top 4 reasons why you should report incidents and hazards

    Do you know why you should report incidents and hazards? Here are four reasons than can benefit your organization.
    Read More

    Ask a Gas Safety Officer: What Inspections Are Required for a Contractor Installing or Replacing Gas Appliances?

    Gas Safety Regulation requires the holder of a permit, or the gas fitter that represents the holder of the permit, to notify Technical Safety BC that regulated work has been performed.
    Read More

    Subscribe for safety updates and insights

    Be the first to know about news from Technical Safety BC.
    Fill out the form to sign up today!